Students can ONLY add the minor in the 1st week of Fall and Spring quarter.
The Theater minor is designed for students who wish to augment their major program of study with a series of courses that promote the study of theater as a global phenomenon for reflecting the human experience.
Click "Apply" tab above for more information
ONLY COURSES FROM THIS LIST CAN BE APPLIED TOWARDS THE MINOR:
A minimum of 20 units applied towards the minor must be in addition to units applied toward the major requirements of another minor.I. REQUIRED LOWER DIVISION COURSES:
Students must complete a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 10 units from the following list of lower division courses. A maximum of two lower division courses can count towards the Theater minor:
- Theater 10: Introduction to Theater – REQUIRED
- Theater 15: Introduction to Directing
- Theater 20: Acting Fundamentals
- Theater 28A, B or C: Acting, Voice and Movement Workshop
- Theater 30: Creative Writing for Theater, Film, Video, or Digital Media
- Theater 150: Theater Production and Performance (2) – REQUIRED
- Theater 102A: Theater of Japan
- Theater 102B: Theater of Southeast Asia
- Theater 102C: Cross-Cultural Currents in Theater
- Theater 102E: Theater of Non-European World
- Theater M103A, B, or E: African American Theater History
- Theater M103D or G: Contemporary Chicano Theater
- Theater 103F: Native American Theater
- Theater 105: Main Currents in Theater
- Theater 106: History of American Theater and Drama
- Theater 107: Drama of Diversity
- Theater 108: Undergraduate Seminar: History and Criticism
- Theater M109: Art and Performance: Interdisciplinary Approach to Collections of the Getty Center
- Theater 110: History of the American Musical
- Theater 111A, B, or C: Selected Topics on History of European Theater
Four courses are required from the following areas of focus:
- Theater 120A: Acting & Performance in Film (5)
- Theater 120B: Acting & Performance in Film (5)
- Theater 120C: Acting & Performance in Film (5)
- Theater 121: Acting Workshop (2)
- Theater 123: Intermediate Acting for the Stge (4)
- Theater 138: Special Problems in Performance Techniques(4)
- Theater 130A: Fundamentals of Playwriting (5)
- Theater 123: Intermediate Acting for the Stage (4)
- Theater C146A, B, or C: Art and Process of Entertainment Design (4 units each)
- Theater 149: Introduction to Design
- Theater 118A: Creative Dramatics (4)
- Theater 118B: Advanced Creative Dramatics (2-4)
- Theater 118D: ArtsBridge Teaching Practicum (4)
- Theater 195: Theater, Film and Television Internship (4)
SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THE MINOR WILL BE INDICATED ON THE TRANSCRIPT AND DIPLOMA.
Students will learn in Week 6 or 7 of the quarter that they submitted their application in on, to determine whether they were entered into the minor or not. Please log into my.ucla.edu and check your DPR to see if the minor has been entered into your system. Students can also check the petitions section to see if there is an update to your minor petition listed there.
If you are a UCLA student and interested in changing your major to Theater, please click here.
Students can ONLY add the minor in the 1st week of Fall and Spring quarter
Please Note: When you have met the criteria to declare a Theater Minor, please note that all degree requirements, including the specific requirements for the theater minor, must be fulfilled within the unit maximum as noted on your Degree Progress Report (DPR). The Theater Minor is a self-sufficient minor, where students can determine their progress on their own on the DPR system. Students may visit 103 East Melnitz Hall or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, if they have questions about the minor.
TFT cannot guarantee that students adding the minor during their final quarter of study will have the minor processed before they graduate. Please give yourself enough time to complete the minor. The minor cannot be completed within one year. Students must take at least five upper division courses from the Theater Minor Course List complete the Theater minor.
You must meet the following criteria:
1. Declare a major in a department other than Theater;
2. Be in good academic standing (minimum 2.0 grade point average);
3. Complete at least two UCLA Theater courses with a final grade of C or better in both courses;
LETTERS & SCIENCE STUDENTS PLEASE NOTE:
Letters & Science students who may exceed their unit maximum may make themselves ineligible for a degree and/or may be removed from the minor. If you will exceed your unit maximum or are unsure as to whether this will be the case, please consult with an academic counselor in your Counseling Unit (Honors, Athletics, AAP, or CAC) before applying to the minor.
STEP 1: THEATER MINOR APPLICATION CHECKLIST
Submit a Signed Print Out of the Theater Minor Application Checklist
STEP 2: THEATER MINOR COURSE LIST
Review and submit a completed Theater Minor Course List.
- Must indicate at least two Theater courses from the Theater Minor Course List that you have taken and received at least a letter grade of C or better.
- A maximum of 12 units may be used for both the major and the minor.
- Only courses on this list taken at UCLA will be considered.
STEP 3: UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM CHANGE PETITION
All Applicants must complete an Undergraduate Program Change Petition
STEP 4: UCLA DEGREE PROGRESS REPORT.
Submit a copy of your Degree Progress Report (DPR) from URSA.
STEP 5: THEATER MINOR POLICIES & PROCEDURES
Submit a signed and dated copy of the Theater Minor Policies & Procedures Form.
STEP 6: SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE
All documents must be submitted in one package and not separately to 103 East Melnitz Hall.
1. Completed/Signed Theater Minor Application Checklist.
2. Completed/Signed Theater Minor Course List.
3. Signed Undergraduate Program Change Petition.
4. A copy of your DPR.
5. Signed Theater Minor Policies & Procedures Form.