Theater & Performance Studies (PhD)
Let’s get started
All Theater, Film and Television degree programs are full-time, daytime programs. The Theater graduate programs have daytime classes and evening production activities. The UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television only accepts applicants for admittance for the Fall. The next application period is for Fall 2024. We will be publishing the Fall 2024 supplemental requirements by September 15, 2023.
Applicants must submit all required application materials to be considered for admission.
For more information
How to Apply
By the time of entrance, PhD applicants must:
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Satisfy the University of California’s Graduate Admission Requirements.
- Complete equivalent to a 4-year U.S. bachelor’s degree.
UCLA Graduate Application
Complete the UCLA Graduate Division Online Application.
- Indicate PhD, Theater and Performance Studies as the program.
- Upload the Statement of Purpose.
- Submit a 1-2 page document.
- Upload a Personal Statement.
- Upload the Resume/CV.
- Upload a Master’s Thesis or a Scholarly Research Paper.
- Submit at least a 20 page document.
- Upload Unofficial copies of all Transcripts.
- Submit Two Letters of Recommendation
- Enter the Names and Emails of all recommenders into the UCLA Graduate Division Online Application.
Mail an Official copy of all Transcripts from each Undergraduate and Graduate institutions attended.
- Note: Community College transcripts are not necessary.
Request that all Test Scores, if required, be sent directly to UCLA.
- Only test scores taken by December 31, 2023 will be accepted.
Please send all applicable materials to:
Graduate Theater Admissions: PhD
UCLA Department of Theater
103 East Melnitz Hall, Box 951622
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1622