FTVDM Internships

Home > Programs > Internships > FTVDM Internships

Information for Students

The Department of Film, Television and Digital Media offers academic credit for internships in Fall, Winter and Spring quarters through courses FILM TV 195CE (for undergraduates of all majors; juniors and seniors only) and 498 (FTVDM graduate students only). During summer, course 195 is used for internship credit by students enrolled in our Summer Institute programs.

Undergraduate students enroll in FILM TV 195CE through the UCLA Center for Community Learning (CCL). IMPORTANT: courses FILM TV 194 and 195CE are co-requisite of each other, i.e., you must be enrolled in both courses in the same quarter.

  • Step 1: start looking for your internship site several months prior to the quarter in which you expect to be an intern
  • Step 2: enroll in FILM TV 194 (an internship seminar which meets weekly on campus) through the regular enrollment process. Space is limited, so enroll as early as your enrollment appointment and course restrictions (if any) allow. Commonly, FILM TV 194 enrollment is restricted to film majors and minors during first pass, and then open to all on second pass, space permitting. Historically, seats are still available at the start of second pass.
  • Step 3: once you are enrolled in course 194 and have secured an internship site for the upcoming quarter, then it is time for you to schedule an INTAKE APPOINTMENT at CCL for enrollment in contract course FILM TV 195CE (which supplies academic credit for the internship itself). You should complete your intake appointment by the end of Week 1. Read about intake appointments at the CCL website, http://www.uei.ucla.edu/community-learning/internship-courses/.

Graduate students who wish to enroll in FILM TV 498 should contact our Producing Program administrative specialist, Lisa Reeve, Lreeve@tft.ucla.edu. Only FTVDM graduate students may enroll in FILM TV 498.

Searching for Internships

Search for internships in BruinView, the UCLA Career Center’s comprehensive internship and job database. BruinView includes TFT-approved internships in the entertainment industry.

  • Log in to BruinView with your UCLA Logon ID, then click “Jobs”
  • Use the keyword “TFT” to search for TFT-approved internships
  • Follow the application instructions provided by employers
  • To find additional listings in relevant industries, click the “Advanced Search” link
  • Search the Industry fields such as “Arts & Entertainment” and “Advertising” and the Position Type fields “Internship (Paid)” and “Internship (Unpaid/Course Credit).” These search results may include TFT-approved employers as well as other employers.
  • Apply for all relevant employers.

Information for International Students

International students interested in pursuing a paid OR unpaid internship must consult the UCLA Dashew Center about required protocols for international students who wish to pursue an internship in the U.S.:

  • Curricular Practical Training authorization (for F-1 Visa students)
  • Academic Training authorization (for J-1 visa students)