Home > Programs > Internships > FTVDM Internships Student Information

Information for Students

The Department of Film, Television and Digital Media offers academic credit for internships in Fall, Winter and Spring quarters through courses FILM TV 195 (for undergraduates FTVDM juniors and senior majors only) and 498 (FTVDM graduate students only). During summer, course 195 is used for internship credit by students enrolled in our Summer Institute programs.  

Undergraduate students enroll in FILM TV 195 through creating a Contract Course through MyUCLA.

  • Step 1: Start looking for your internship site several months prior to the quarter in which you expect to be an intern
  • Step 2: Find a FTVDM senate faculty member (assistant, associate, or professor rank) who will agree to be your faculty mentor.
  • Step 3: Create the contract course on MyUCLA. Have your faculty mentor sign it and submit to the FTVDM academc advisor before the Week 2 enrollment deadline. 

Graduate students who wish to enroll in FILM TV 498 should contact our Producing Program administrative specialist, Lisa Reeve,  Only FTVDM graduate students may enroll in FILM TV 498.

Searching for Internships

Search for internships in BruinView, the UCLA Career Center’s comprehensive internship and job database. BruinView includes TFT-approved internships in the entertainment industry. 

  • Log in to BruinView with your UCLA Logon ID, then click “Jobs”
  • Use the keyword “TFT” to search for TFT-approved internships
  • Follow the application instructions provided by employers 
  • To find additional listings in relevant industries, click the “Advanced Search” link.
  • Search the Industry fields such as “Arts & Entertainment” and “Advertising” and the Position Type fields “Internship (Paid)” and “Internship (Unpaid/Course Credit).” These search results may include TFT-approved employers as well as other employers.
  • Apply for all relevant employers.

Information for International Students

International students interested in pursuing a paid OR unpaid internship must consult the UCLA Dashew Center about required protocols for international students who wish to pursue an internship in the U.S.:

  • Curricular Practical Training authorization (for F-1 Visa students)
  • Academic Training authorization (for J-1 visa students)