Track 4: Digital Filmmaking
Study at the world-renowned UCLA Department of Film, Television and Digital Media this summer! The Film and Television High School Summer Institute in Digital Filmmaking is designed for talented and highly motivated rising juniors and seniors (under 18). This program is a two-week, intensive production workshop. Students are immersed in the creativity and technique of cinematic storytelling and challenged to create entertaining narrative projects.
- The program curriculum consists of a combination of lectures, practical camera exercises, and postproduction labs
- All films will be screened in a state-of-the-art theater during the certificate ceremony at the end of the workshop. Friends and family are welcome!
- Students work on soundstages in the Department of Film, Television and Digital Media, using the latest in editing software and high-definition cameras
- This workshop carries two units of UCLA college credit
- Program activities include film screenings and a visit to a Hollywood Studio
CurriculumThis program carries 2 quarter units of UC credit. Students in this track are enrolled in FTV 72 Production Practice in Film, Television, and Digital Media.
This program offers a hands-on overview of the production process, from conceptualization to postproduction. Through lectures, discussions, workshops and group projects, students will form a basic understanding of the aesthetic, creative, and logistical decisions involved in making a film. This includes story structure, the principles of cinematography, and editing.
Admission to the program is by instructor consent only. This track is open to high school rising juniors and seniors (under 18). As part of the application process students must submit a statement of purpose and two letters of recommendation.
View the program layout for
Digital Filmmaking (July 8 – July 21, 2017)
Register Online. In order to secure your spot, a $150 nonrefundable deposit is due upon completion of your application for the program. You may pay by credit or debit card using our secure online credit card form. Your $150 deposit is nonrefundable.
Grades and Transcripts
Program participants will earn units of credit on a letter grading basis and will be recorded on an official University of California transcript. Please note that official transcripts are not automatically sent to students.
Housing is available in the UCLA Residence Halls for students age 16 and older. You can view the various housing options and rates. You will need UCLA Logon ID and Password in order to access the online housing application.
UCLA Summer Institutes
1332 Murphy Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1418
Tel: (310) 825-4101
Fax: (310) 825-1528