Unique to UCLA, the graduate-level, non-degree offerings of Professional Programs are modeled after the world-renowned M.F.A. curriculum at the prestigious UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television. All the writing classes, whether on campus or online, are patterned after the Screenwriting Program’s Advanced Screenwriting “434” class, designed by former M.F.A. Screenwriting Program Chair Lew Hunter and current co-Chair Richard Walter. All Professional Programs classes are offered in the evenings and are taught by industry professionals, many of who also teach in the MFA programs.
Graduates of Professional Programs have sold material to Disney, Fox, Miramax, Paramount, Sony and Warner Bros., among others.
- Interactivity: A Course in Video Game Design and Development This course covers the creative and production aspects of game design and development.Read more
Taught by Marianne Krawczyk and Whitney Wade.
- Producing The Professional Program in Producing provides an intensive overview of the contemporary film and television industries, and introduces students to the tools needed to navigate the studio and independent marketplace.Read more
- Producing For The New Hollywood This course demystifies the process of producing by walking students through the process from start to finish. Taught by Sandy Stern.Read more
- Producing Theater Now Created and taught by five-time Tony Award nominee Susan Dietz, Producing Theater Now, a brand new Professional Programs certificate program, covers the latest developments in the complicated and ever-changing world of professional theater.Read more
- Representation and Business Strategies for the New Hollywood Created and taught by Senior CAA Agent Gregory McKnight, this course will help students learn how to gain representation, how best to maximize their relationships with those that represent them, and the state of the entertainment business now.Read more
- Screenwriting Students in the Professional Program in Screenwriting attend two classes per week: A lecture taught by UCLA TFT Screenwriting Department co-Chair Hal Ackerman and a screenwriting workshop led by a guest professional screenwriter.Read more
- Screenwriting OnlineLike the on-campus program, students in the Screenwriting Online course participate in a group lecture and workshop. High-speed Internet access and a web cam are required.Read more
- Writing for Television Students in the Professional Program in Writing for Television attend two classes per week: A lecture taught by UCLA TFT M.F.A. instructor Neil Landau and a screenwriting workshop led by a guest professional screenwriter.Read more
- Writing for Television Online Like the on-campus program, students in the Writing for Television Online course participate in a group lecture and workshop. High-speed Internet access and a web cam are required.Read more
- Alumni The collection of entertainment industry success stories from UCLA Professional Programs includes such alumni as filmmaker James Ponsoldt (The Spectacular Now), actor/producer Uday Chopra, Lucasfilm Creative Executive Rayne Roberts and many more.Read more