Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the requirements for graduate admission at UCLA?

UCLA requires that an applicant hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution, comparable in standard and content to a bachelor's degree from the University of California, with a scholastic average of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better - or its equivalent if the letter grade system is not used - for the last 60 semester units or last 90 quarter units of undergraduate study and in any post-baccalaureate study.

An international student whose post-secondary education is completed outside of the U.S. is expected to hold a degree with above average scholarship from a university or university-level institution.

Q: Can you provide a list of the equivalent degrees to a U.S. bachelor's degree for many of the Arab League countries and their 3.0 GPA equivalents?

This information can be found in the International App Review Guide.

Q: Is Fall Quarter the only time applications will be accepted?

Yes. Potential students are not able to submit applications for any other quarter.

Q: Can I enroll at UCLA TFT as a part-time student?

No. UCLA TFT degree granting programs only accept students who are registered on a full-time basis.

Q: Who do I contact if I have technical problems with the online application?

The technical support link appears on each page of the online application, including the login page. The support center provides a database of frequently asked technical questions along with an online help ticket service.

Q: What is the deadline for supplemental materials to be received by UCLA?

Any supplemental materials that need to be mailed to UCLA must be postmarked no later than Monday, December 1, 2014.

The online application and payment must be submitted no later than Monday, December 1, 2014.

Q: How much is the online application fee?

For U.S. citizens and permanent residents, the online application fee is $90.00 USD. For all other applicants, the fee is $110.00 USD.

After completing the online application, you will be asked to make a payment in order for your application to be officially submitted.

Q: Where do I send my transcripts and letters of recommendation?

One official copy of your transcript(s) must be sent directly to UCLA TFT.

Graduate Film Admissions
UCLA Department of Film, Television and Digital Media
103 East Melnitz Hall, Box 951622
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1622

Your recommenders must submit their letters online. Each recommender will be provided with instructions on how to do so. If the letters are not uploaded as part of your application, you will need to send them along with all other supplemental materials (including test scores) to the address above.

Q: How can I find out the status of my letter of recommendation requests?

You may check the status of your letter of recommendation requests by logging onto the online graduate application and going to the Recommendations section.

Q: I submitted my application, but I have been informed that the recommenders are not able to access the recommendation form. Could you please tell me what I should do?

Many email service providers have upgraded their spam blocking tools to allow their customers greater control over received messages. To ensure that important system messages are received by the recommenders, please have them add the following email address to their address book and/or your list of approved email addresses:

After the applicant's recommenders have added the email address, the applicant should be able to resend the recommendation notification from his/her online graduate application. The applicant needs to log into his/her application, click the link for the application and then click on the recommendations link on the left-hand side of the section. When the applicant views the list of their recommenders, the applicant must check the box next to the recommender who needs a new notification email. Then, click on the "resend" button near the bottom-right-hand side of the page.

Q: What if my email or mailing address has changed?

You can change your email address by logging onto your graduate application and clicking on the "update profile" link.

In addition, you should contact UCLA TFT at

Q: What is the application/admissions timeline for those applying to the M.F.A. degree program in Directing/Production for Fall 2015?

December 1, 2014 — Application submission deadline
February to March 2015 — Interviews of top applicants
March to April 2015 — Fall 2015 applicants informed of admittance
April 15, 2015 — Deadline for student to inform UCLA TFT of his/her decision

Q: How will I learn about my admissions status?

An email will be sent when there is a change in your admissions status. You can check your admissions status by logging onto the online graduate application. Your status can also be checked on the UCLA Graduate Division website.

Q: Will UCLA file all necessary paperwork supporting the F1 visa for admitted students? What’s the process for my guardian to apply for a visa?

Upon admittance into UCLA, international students will be contacted by the UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars (DCISS) regarding their immigration paperwork.

DCISS will help each student and any family/guardians determine the appropriate visa status. The student must obtain the necessary documentation from his/her government, in addition to providing supplemental financial statements required as part of the application.

Q: What housing options are available to graduate students?

UCLA offers two types of off-campus apartment complexes for graduate students: University Apartments North and University Apartments South. Information on housing is available at the UCLA Housing Office, 360 De Neve Drive, (310) 206-7011.

Graduate students do not have to reside in university apartments. The UCLA Housing Office offers listings of private off-campus housing, including rental vacancies and posted roommate notices.

Q: What services are available for international students?

The Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars provides services and programs to UCLA's international community. These services include personal counseling on visa and immigration issues, financial and tax matters, academic adjustment, insurance and release of funds from other countries. The Center also supports international and intercultural programs which assist students and scholars to adjust to the community, including housing assistance, community services, friendship families and English conversation groups. The Center is located at 417 Charles Young Drive West, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1379, (310) 825-1681.

Q: Do all international applicants need to prove their English proficiency when applying to UCLA?

Any international applicant, whose first language is not English, must certify proficiency in English when applying to UCLA, and if admitted, upon arrival. Such applicants must submit scores received on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as part of their application. For the English proficiency tests, the UCLA Code is 4837 and the Department Code is 2409. Only test scores received by December 2014 will be accepted.

International applicants who have received a Bachelor’s degree from an American institution are not required to take the TOEFL or IELTS.

For more information, visit the UCLA Graduate Division website.

Q: What if my TOEFL/IELTS score is below the minimum?

English language ability is important to success as a graduate student at UCLA. While you may still apply, a score below the stated minimum requirement may disqualify you from admission.

Q: Can the graduate application be submitted before the TOEFL or IELTS test scores are available?

Yes, as long as the applicant submits the application by the deadline, and submits test scores soon after (tests should be taken no later than December 2014). Please note that personal information shown on the test report (name, date of birth, etc.) must match exactly with that of UCLA's Application for Admission.

Q: Where can an applicant get information regarding the TOEFL or IELTS examinations?

Applicants may obtain more information by visiting Educational Testing Service (ETS).

Applicants may obtain more information on the IELTS by visiting IELTS International.

Q: How do I submit my TOEFL and/or IELTS test scores?

UCLA receives TOEFL test scores electronically from ETS, and IELTS scores directly from IELTS.

In order for your official scores to be matched to your application, be sure that your personal information on the Application for Graduate Admission is exactly the same as the information on your examination(s).

You should instruct ETS to send a hard-copy of your TOEFL test scores to UCLA TFT.

You may submit your graduate application before taking the TOEFL and/or IELTS examinations. Enter the planned future date of the examination(s) and leave the score section blank.

If you have taken the TOEFL or IELTS more than once, and the testing agency transmits your scores to UCLA, all of the scores will appear as part of your application. Only your most recent test scores are considered as part of your application.

Q: Who should I contact if I have additional questions?

The UCLA TFT student services office can answer any questions regarding admission into the School. All questions can be sent by email to You should receive a response no later than two business days after receipt of your email.

  • How to Write a Film Treatment A film treatment is a summary of a screenplay detailed in a two-page document. It can be considered a simplified pitch that conveys the key elements of your screenplay to make it stand out.
    Learn more